Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mister Lonely, or, Ask Me About Unwound

Ok, I saw Mister Lonely last night and am still reeling a little bit from the experience. I
wait one second: I am listening to New Plastic Ideas for the second time this week, that being the first time in a year and a half or so; this HOLDS UP like nobody's business, and none of the bands of now that go for the pounding dark vibe have anything on this band, who maybe were the only or last people to get the loud/soft dynamic shifts powerful without corniness. By Leaves Turn Inside You, which I'm not sure if I like any more, they, too, had gotten a little too "experimental." This record might actually be punk? It has a great guitar sound. So usual.
ANYWAY I gotta go on a long bike ride, but I also want to know, what did you think of this movie if you saw it? I went into it not really expecting to like it and left not knowing what I thought. Some parts
this song I am listening to is kind of post-Nirvana, hmm
The weird thing, I think, is that you think it'll be whimsical (the bad kind of whimsical, wait, there's no good kind, but you know what I mean?) and it isn't. I mean you think it'll be hipster-dreamy but it's just dreamy; Herzog's presence aside, parts of it seem very Herzog-y, with a small, bizarre, and beautiful thing happening in a big expanse of space. In other parts that you'd expect to be lush and over-the-top, Korine shoots in really tight focus on people's faces, which grounds you in the characters' emotions, and ultimately each main character's personality overrides the weird mise en scene, rather than sinking back into decorative weirdness. Does that make sense?
It has false notes, for sure, and despite the movie's surface earnestness (it's about faith), you wonder where the irony lies, if anywhere.
Oh shit, I am gonna be late! More later. Bike time!

2 comments:

ana isabel said...

when you told me the other night to see the film i was like, 'hmm, ok, maybe maybe i'll make it, samantha morton is a cutie, and after all the ifc is a shorter walk than film forum from the subway ...' b/c i'm always skeptical of movies that advertise themselves as being kind of quirky and isolationist-y. like, the poster photo of them on the boat? hmmm. but your comments make me curious.
admittedly, a little shaken from the endless (albeit infinitely worthwhile) viewing of 'a touch of zen'--is 'mister lonely' three hours too? i have a 110ish minute limit to my movie watching these days. please advise, must shake the ADD. xo

whatwewantisfree said...

seriously you are one of my fave writers. i wish you would write for mrr!